The University of Pavia (Italian: Università degli Studi di Pavia, UNIPV or Università di Pavia; Latin: Alma Ticinensis Universitas) is a university located in Pavia, Lombardy, Italy. There was evidence of teaching as early as 1361, making it one of the oldest universities in the world. It was the sole university in Milan and the greater Lombardy region until the end of the 19th century.
Currently, it has 18 departments and 9 faculties. It doesn’t have a main campus, its buildings and facilities are scattered around the city, earning the city of Pavia its title “a city campus”. The university caters to more than 20,000 students who come from Italy and all over the world.
The university offers more than 80 undergraduate programs, more than 40 master programs and about 20 doctoral programs, including 8 English programs. About 1,500 students who enter the university every year are international students.
The university operates multiple cultural and scientific museums, including the University History Museum, a botanical garden, research centers, university libraries and a university press. The university is also affiliated with Policlinico San Matteo, where every year, hundreds of medical students from the university perform clinical rotations during their clinical years.
The University of Pavia is a member of the COIMBRA Group and European University Association. It also participates in the Erasmus Programme, which allows student exchanges between the University of Pavia and various universities in Europe.
Today over 24,000 students, from both Italy and overseas, study at our university.
Eleven two-year Master degree programs are totally taught in English:
- Civil Engineering for Mitigation of Risk from Natural Hazards
- Computer Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Industrial Automation Engineering
- Economics, Finance and International Integration
- International Business and Entrepreneurship
- Medicine and Surgery
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Psychology, Neuroscience and Human Sciences
- World Politics and International Relations
- The Ancient Mediterranean World: History, Archaeology and Art
Unipv is a multidisciplinary University and research activities range from Human and Social sciences, Natural sciences and Engineering, to Life sciences.
In 2018 Italian Ministry of Education selected 5 departments (Biology, Physics, Mathematics, Medicine and Humanities) as excellent, awarding them with extra funds for research projects.
Research in Pavia is unique thanks to other research centers, such as the Center for Health Technologies (CHT), the European Centre for Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering (EUCENTRE) and the National Center for Oncological Radiotherapy (CNAO)
- 82% of graduates find employment within a year of graduation (against a national average of 77%)
- 93% after three years from graduation
- 94% within five years from graduation
- MSc in Science, Engineering, Medicine & Surgery and Pharmacy have a 95% post-graduation employment rate.
- To improve international careers guidance services for students and postgraduates, the Career Service works with companies and institutions in Europe and beyond.
- It offers a range of services to companies and institutions, including promotion on our website of the best internship and job opportunities that have been uploaded onto international job sites and search engines.
Originally created around schools of law, humanities and medicine, the University of Pavia now offers 83 courses in:
- Engineering and architecture
- Natural sciences
- Health professions
- Languages and philosophy
- Political sciences
- Sports sciences