The University of Palermo was officially founded in 1806, although its earliest roots date back to 1498 when medicine and law were taught there. A little later in history, from the second half of the 16th century from their seat at the Collegio Massimo al Cassero, the Jesuit Fathers granted degrees in Theology and Philosophy – subjects in which they had been masters for over 200 years.
In 1767 they were expelled from the kingdom by King Ferdinand I, until 37 years later, when they returned to take their seat – which in the meantime had been turned into the Regia Accademia.
At this time, the same King Ferdinand decided to grant a good seat to the Accademia, moving its location to the Convent of the Teatini Fathers next to the Church of St. Giuseppe.Palazzo Chiaramonte-Steri
After the unification of Italy in 1860, the University of Palermo was modernized under the impetus of the chemist Stanislao Cannizzaro and the minister and specialist in Arab studies Michele Amari, more or less assuming its present appearance. Since 1984 the main building of the University, housing the Rector’s office, is Palazzo Chiaramonte-Steri, one of the most important historical buildings in Palermo, built in 1307 and formerly the residence of the Chiaramonte. Not far from Palazzo Steri, on land formerly belonging to the Chiaramonte, the Botanical Gardens of Palermo constitute a further admirable pearl of the University.
Today, the University has grown to be an institution of about 2000 lecturers and 50,000 students in which research in all main fields of study is carried out. In the past few years the university has actively taken part in international cooperation programmes.
These are the 12 faculties in which the university is divided into:
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Political Sciences
With its 16 Departments and almost 1500 faculty members, it covers the most important domains of contemporary scientific and technological knowledge.
Over 40.000 students are enrolled in the 122 courses (first and second cycle) as well as 44 master and 23 PhD courses that are offered yearly, targeted to the training of specific professional figures, often in cooperation with external Institutions and Companies.Show less
The University of Palermo has 16 Departments, where research activities are carried out in several fields: Science and Technology, Life Sciences and Medicine, Humanities and Social Sciences. The University is committed to give its contribution to the international scientific community and to the world of production in terms of innovation and progress.
Scientific research, both basic and applied, is carried out in the University laboratories also open to the local community. Successful technological transfer is accomplished through the full synergy of innovative technologies, scientific expertise, production systems and processes. Show less